Corporate car programs, also known as business vehicle leasing, can be convenient for companies needing reliable transportation solutions that won’t break the bank.
Many business owners need to provide company cars for their employees for their operations to function fluidly. For instance, people who must travel daily to cultivate in-person connections with clients are especially indebted to vehicles for business purposes.
Sadly, buying and maintaining a fleet of cars is a costly and time-consuming burden to undertake. The inconveniences involved in fleets and their equivalents have prompted more and more employers to opt for corporate car programs, also known as business vehicle leasing.
Corporate car rentals
While rental programs may not be the best option for some businesses – particularly those needing specialized vehicles – there are a couple of reasons why companies not using specialty vehicles should consider them. The best corporate car rental programs offer the following:
- Excellent financials: Corporate car rental services provide businesses with all kinds of vehicles, all poised for whatever business use may be on the docket, including everyday sedans needed for short business trips, temporary assignments, or as a substitute for company-owned cars. These rental programs offer businesses a great deal of flexibility – not only do they allow you to avoid the financial stress of purchasing vehicles outright or putting in a down payment, but corporate rental leases are also only for a fixed period.
- Flexibility: No matter how many (or how few) business miles you need employees to accumulate, rentals will allow you to get the job done. However, if your employees find it challenging to get a feel for the cars themselves or your business model pivots away from needing transportation solutions, you can simply walk away. Indeed, the convenience, cost savings, and tax advantages of car rentals can help bring profound changes to a struggling business. Moreover, rentals can also help reduce the environmental impacts of large and small companies, as most of these programs now offer fuel-efficient or hybrid electric vehicles.
Corporate car programs
A corporate car program is an arrangement whereby a company, rather than paying the total market value of the car, can acquire vehicles from a rental company for a longer fixed period than the aforementioned corporate car programs, usually between one and four years. Depending on the specific business needs, employers can look into an array of options, including open-end leases and other flexible contracts and warranties. Indeed, both large and small business owners can benefit from this malleability.
In these programs, the client pays a monthly fee to a leasing company to cover the cost of the vehicle, insurance, maintenance, and other services. Depending on their needs and preferences, the lessee can choose from various vehicles, such as sedans, SUVs, vans, or trucks.
The business can also customize the cars with their logo or branding – a perk akin to low-cost marketing that many companies could benefit from.
Corporate fleet programs
What is a corporate fleet?
A corporate fleet describes a group of vehicles owned or leased by a business for its operations. A fleet can vary in size and type depending on the business’s needs and goals. Some companies may have a small fleet of cars for sales representatives or executives, while others may have a large fleet of trucks or vans for delivery or service. A fleet program is a plan that outlines how a business will manage its fleet, including aspects such as acquisition, maintenance, disposal, and reporting.
How do you manage a company car program?
Despite the benefits of monthly payments and the write-offs allotted by the actual expenses of leasing a vehicle, managing a company car program can take time and effort for businesses. It involves many tasks and responsibilities, such as selecting vehicles, negotiating lease contracts with dealerships, tracking expenses, monitoring usage, enforcing policies, and complying with regulations. Businesses outsource vehicle overseeing management to a professional fleet leasing and management company to simplify and streamline the process of managing a company car program. These companies can provide expert advice and support on all aspects of fleet management, such as company vehicle selection, financing options, maintenance programs, fuel cards, driver training, accident management, and reporting tools.
How many and what kinds of cars comprise a fleet?
You may be asking about the exact number of cars in a fleet. The great thing about caravans is how flexible they can be – they can consist of as many vehicles are needed to suit the needs of the company in question. Different kinds of specialty cars can be counted among the fleet vehicles.
Sometimes, niche companies will have conditions that require customizing the vehicles a fleet management company has to offer. This is where upfitting comes in, which refers to the process of customizing or modifying a car to meet the specific needs of a business or organization. Upfitting can include installing specialized equipment or accessories, such as shelving, ladder racks, toolboxes, lighting, and communication systems.
Fleet upfitting is commonly used to improve commercial vehicles’ functionality and efficiency, such as vans, trucks, and trailers transporting uncommon construction equipment. By customizing vehicles to meet the unique demands of a business or industry, upfitting can help optimize vehicle performance, increase safety, and improve overall productivity. It can be done in-house by a fleet manager or outsourced to a professional upfitting company. The process typically requires consultation between the participating parties, followed by the design, fabrication, and installation of the new components.
Corporate car lease programs
Another option for businesses that need vehicles is corporate car lease programs, similar to fleet management companies. Corporate car lease programs are comprehensive vehicle solutions that include leasing, maintenance, fuel management, and insurance. Corporate car lease programs can help businesses optimize fleet performance, reduce costs, and improve safety. One of the advantages of corporate car lease programs is that they allow companies to access new vehicles without having to purchase them or deal with depreciation.
There are many perks when using a corporate car program for business vehicle needs. Whether it is a large or small business looking to try business car leasing, some benefits include but are not limited to:
- Lower upfront costs: Leasing requires fewer initial vehicle expenses than buying one. The business does not have to pay for the car’s total value, only for its depreciation during the lease term; this frees up cash flow for the lessee and allows them to use their capital for other purposes.
- Tax advantages: Certain leasing options offer tax benefits. The monthly lease payments can be tax deductions as they are business expenses; this helps reduce the business’s income and can get you a more significant tax return from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The company can also claim input tax credits for the GST/HST paid on the lease payments if you are dealing with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Flexibility: Leasing a vehicle allows the business to adjust to changing needs and demands. The company can choose the type, model, and number of cars they need at any given time. They can also upgrade or replace the vehicles at the end of the lease term or renew the lease with new terms and conditions.
Convenience: Lease agreements eliminate the hassle of owning and managing a fleet of vehicles. The car rental company takes care of the maintenance, repairs, registration, insurance, and roadside assistance for the leased vehicles. The business does not have to worry about depreciation, resale value, or disposal of the cars.1
Corporate car programs are an innovative solution for businesses that need vehicles for their operations. They offer lower costs, tax benefits, flexibility, and convenience than buying and owning vehicles by leasing vehicles from a reputable rental company, which offers new cars and used models.
Corporate car rental and corporate car lease programs are two options for businesses that need vehicles for their operations. Both options have pros and cons depending on the business’s needs and preferences. Corporate car rental can offer more flexibility and convenience to businesses needing short-term or occasional vehicles. Corporate car lease programs can provide more stability and cost-effectiveness to enterprises that need vehicles for long-term or regular use.
Disclaimer: nothing contained in this blog post is legal, accounting, or insurance advice. Consult your lawyer, accountant, or insurance agent and do not rely on the information contained herein for any business or personal financial or legal decision making. While we strive to be as reliable as possible, we are neither lawyers nor accountants nor agents. For several citations of IRS publications, on which we base our blog content ideas, please always consult this article: https://www.cardata.co/blog/irs-rules-for-mileage-reimbursements. For Cardata’s terms of service, go here: https://www.cardata.co/terms.